Worker Cuts Through Energized Line, Affecting Businesses in Plymouth

  • Post comments:0 Comments
Worker Cuts Through Energized Line, Affecting Businesses in Plymouth

An electrical incident occurred Wednesday at the city center in Plymouth, England, when a worker cut through an energized line.

The worker was injured and treated at the scene before being taken to a hospital for “electrical burns to hands and arms”.

A spokesperson for Western Power Distribution said, “There was an incident in Cornwall Street in a shop today – I think it was an empty shop. Unfortunately it was actually an excavated hole, so there was a visible live cable. The worker mistook the cable as being something other than an electricity cable, and he had an angle grinder power tool which he used to cut through the cable, which caused the burn to his hand. It is not a hole that we excavated, and we are not aware it had been excavated.”

A spokesperson for Shaylor Group, who were working at the commercial property, said, “We are working with an independent safety consultant group who have been informed and will be going to the site to carry out an independent investigation. The Health and Safety Executive will be kept fully in the loop.”

He was not an electrician, but workers also need training on electrical hazards.

Hugh Hoagland

does research and testing of PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Hugh is a Sr. Consultant at ArcWear and Sr. Partner at e-Hazard. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply