Welder Electrocuted in MO

  • Post comments:2 Comments
Welder Electrocuted in MO

A welder was electrocuted this past May while disassembling a live, 480-volt flexible cord.

He worked at Homeyer Precision Manufacturing in Marthasville, Missouri.

The company was cited for 11 serious and one other-than-serious safety violations. The proposed fines come to $59,000.

OSHA’s investigation found Homeyer failed to do the following:

  • Train employees on electrical safe work practices.
  • Isolate energy to machines and equipment.
  • Provide personal protective equipment, including hand protection.
  • Train and certify employees on procedures to prevent sudden machine start-up or unintentional operation, a process known as lockout/tagout.
  • Install adequate machine guarding to avoid contact with moving parts.
  • Provide insulated tools.
  • Anchor machinery.
  • Mark dies for mechanical presses.

You can view OSHA’s citations here.

Hugh Hoagland

does research and testing of PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Hugh is a Sr. Consultant at ArcWear and Sr. Partner at e-Hazard. Read more about Hugh.

This Post Has 2 Comments

    1. Ken Sellars
      Ken Sellars

      I have seen them higher, but you are right. This level of fine would shut down a small company. This does not even touch the litigation that will most likely follow from the family.

Leave a Reply