Arc Flash Incident in North Dakota

  • Post comments:7 Comments
Arc Flash Incident in North Dakota

An arc flash incident at an Integrity Windows  plant December 17, 2017, left an electrician seriously injured.

The electrician suffered burns to his arms, neck, elbow and upper torso. He was taken to a Minneapolis medical center for treatment.

At the time of the incident, he was installing and testing breakers at the plant when the arc flash occurred.

The OSHA investigation may take up to six months to complete.

 

Hugh Hoagland

does research and testing of PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Hugh is a Sr. Consultant at ArcWear and Sr. Partner at e-Hazard. Read more about Hugh.

This Post Has 7 Comments

  1. Avatar
    Debra Matthews

    It sounds like he was wearing insulating gloves with leather protectors and using an arc flash face shield, but no balaclava or arc flash suit. It’s so sad he was injured when an arc flash suit and hood matching the potential incident energy could have prevented it. That’s why NFPA 70E and OSHA training play a crucial role in developing a safe workforce. Prayers for quick healing and no permanent disability.

    1. Hugh Hoagland
      Hugh Hoagland

      So true Debra. Matching to the hazard is critical. Glad they got partly right. That saves lives but burns aren’t fun even if they are limited.

      Hugh

  2. Avatar
    Trevor M

    Any more info about this? What was the voltage, panel type,……? What exactly was he doing when the flash occurred?

    1. Hugh Hoagland
      Hugh Hoagland

      We don’t have any more info than the news. When we do investigations we can’t share anything but what is public. In this case, we have not been involved. I’d bet it was 3P system. Rarely see arc flash hurting anyone below 300V (208V 3P is an exception).

      Hugh

  3. Avatar
    Terry M.

    What was so critical in a window factory, that the panel could not be put in an electrically safe work condition? Perhaps the company can explain the necessity to complete the work energized. I was burnt in a 120/208 3 phase panel from an arc, so it does happen

    1. Hugh Hoagland
      Hugh Hoagland

      Anything 3-phase can ignite clothing so it is important to study.

  4. Avatar
    Just lopez

    By any chance would you be able to post pictures of the area where it happened and the body parts if possible

Leave a Reply